My husband Brian said in a sermon once that "Yours is the most influential voice that you hear every day." I think he is right! It is my own voice that tells my heart to "cling to the truth" that is in Jesus Christ, or "believe the lies" that go against who Christ is and what He has done for me. So, as I go through my day, I am coaching my heart to believe the truth. One of the most powerful ways to do that is through music.
Yesterday, I had circumstances that caused me to be tempted toward discouragement and frustration, but this song (His Forever, see below) was playing in the car as I drove my kids all over the place. It reminded me that my greatest need, (greater than the needs I was experiencing at that moment), has been met by Christ on the cross. I was a sinner being hurled, by my own sin, toward destruction. Jesus Christ went to the cross and paid for my sin, granting me forgiveness and adoption as a child of God. His love was so great and gracious that, though I was His enemy and unworthy in every way, He died for me. That great truth put the issues of my day in perspective. And I also remembered that if God would give His beloved Son in my place, then surely He would not withhold any other good thing that I really need, (like His help and grace to deal with my present issues). My circumstances didn't change, but my heart did. Thank you, Lord!
So, here's the song. Soak in the rich, life-transforming truths arranged in these verses...
His Forever
(by Sovereign Grace Music, from the album Worship God Live)
Jesus, friend of sinners
Loved me ’ere I knew Him
Drew me with His cords of love
Tightly bound me to Him
’Round my heart still closely twined
The ties that none can sever
For I am His and He is mine
Forever and forever
Jesus, friend of sinners
A crown of thorns You wore for me
Bruised for my transgressions
Pierced for my iniquities
The wrath of God that I deserved
Was poured out on the Innocent
He took my place, my soul to save
Now I am His forever
Jesus, friend of sinners
I love to tell the story
Redeeming love has been my theme
And will be when in glory
Not death nor life nor anything
Can ever separate me
O love that will not let me go
Yes, I am His forever
(You can also listen to it here on youtube. Thanks, Sovereign Grace Music!)
0 comments:
Post a Comment